Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Rockin' Chair: Part 2

It is at this point in the process that I am ashamed to admit the rocking chair will require three separate blog entries.  That's half of my posts thus far!
I cleaned up a bit for you guys. I didn't want 18 mid-progress Christmas ornaments to distract you. Plus, spoilers. I started by measuring the base of the seat.  This is where my handy-dandy cutting mat really..uh...comes in handy.  My sewing soulmate (Aunt K) gave it to me for my birthday two years ago and it is used non-stop! I added four inches all around and made my cuts to the turquoise colored corduroy.  I knooow I just got RID of the cord, but I couldn't think of anything else that would wear so well!  And all my utility weight fabric would show ALL the dirt. We got the cord today at JoAnn. Speaking of...

This is NOT the way to cut fabric for a customer. Holy heck. If I had the time, I'd have a Tumblr dedicated to bad JoAnn cuts. The worst ever was when I got such a severe parallelogram that I didn't have enough yardage for my project. Clarice never would have stood for this nonsense! (Clarice worked at the old JoAnn location on Gravois. The charming one with all the leaks in the roof. You know the one. Infinitely better than Super Joann locations.) (Also, I just had to go back and switch all the "Joann's" to "JoAnn".  Who knew JoAnn was the Aldi of craft stores?)
At this point I started wishing I had kept the old cover to use as a pattern.  Send in the freezer paper! I just had to trim the edge a bit, then I marked it with where I needed to make my cuts. This picture looked a lot sharper on my little lcd screen. Hrmm. I made cuts where the seat met the seat back and did a very narrow 1/8 hem around them.
Then outside with all my tools to staple it to the bottom. BH was napping, and I didn't think a staple gun and hammer would help with that.  I hate upholstering things. I can never get the corners to look great, and it's always puckered. What's funny is the one upholstering expert I know is the nicest person ever and would probably give me the side eye for not asking for help. To which I would respond, "I can do it mySELF!" Following the trend of use-what-you-find, I used a tiny crochet hook like an awl to poke through the fabric while putting the screws back. 1. Blue tape kept them totally organized. Win. 2. I'm glad I took pictures of the chair before I took it apart because on one side there were seven holes and only five screws. Whew.
Boom! Next up: cushions. PX looked at it and said, "Uhh...I wanted the whole thing to be that blue." Wait for it, son. Wait for it!

3 comments:

  1. Cuhrazy old Clarice! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd take a million Clarices over the yahoos they have now. Siiiigh.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete